|Location||Coral Springs, FL|
|Date Posted||February 15, 2017|
|Local Hires Only?||Yes, Only Locals Apply|
Overall Function: Responsible for Maritime and Commercial site surveys, job planning, creating technical drawings, creating customer quotes, compiling scopes of work, contractor work plans and/or oversight of a wide variety of activities for purposes of shipboard and shoreside projects. This position reports directly to the Marine Operations Manager.
Position may require added duties, functions, or projects on a needed basis or at the discretion of management. Duties include, but are not limited to, the items listed below.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage and verify function of specialized testing devices and system-defined standards to test compliance requirements and document results before and after project.
- Collaborate with the design team to complete all required documents and bills of materials, scopes to work at the assigned office or offsite 365 days a year 24/7 (within reason).
- Provide technical assistance to other Design Engineers and Project Leads as required.
- Pre-and-Post Project reviews with Project Leads for all projects assigned.
- Ability to provide a complete turnkey solution to customers as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of cabling infrastructure and electronic components required for networking.
- Considerable knowledge of marine regulatory governing bodies such as DNV and ABS as well as, EIA/TIA codes, BICSI standards, etc.
- Must be proficient in MS Word, Excel, Project, Adobe Pro, AutoCAD, and Visio.
- Must be proficient with basic electrical theory and practices.
- Understanding of rules and regulations of each job site in which the project will be performed.
Requirements to Perform Essential Job Functions:
- Occasionally, the employee will need to move around on the jobsite, lifting/moving equipment up to 40 lbs. or more.
- Must be able to operate a variety of equipment and tools including diagnostic and testing equipment, hand tools, and power tools.
- Must have minimal levels of eye/hand/foot coordination.
- Must be able to go through and work in very confined spaces.
- Travel to locations which involves exposure to extreme outdoor weather conditions for prolonged periods; work on uneven surfaces, and indoors (such as commercial/industrial freezer with subzero temperature
- Must be able to climb ladders and work on lifts higher than 100 ft.
- Must be able to work standing/walking prolonged periods in excess of 8 hours.
- Must be able to reason and think logically.
- Must be able to analyze problems and develop corrective actions.
- Must be able to work with others to collectively solve problems.
- Must be able to multitask several projects and prioritize workloads to meet deadlines.
- Must be able to systematically maintain engineering records and archives.
- Requires the ability to read a variety of correspondences, manuals, instructions, journals, etc.
- Requires the ability to utilize basic mathematics (add, subtract, multiply, divide, utilize decimals and percentages, English-to-metric conversions).
- Ability to effectively interface and collaborate with customers.
- Willing to travel (customer sites, meetings, conferences, and expositions).
- Should be a “self-starter” (show initiative) and follow through to completion with little guidance.
- Requires the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and work well under pressure.
- Ability to present themselves and their work in a professional manner to management and to customers.
- Prepare and complete forms, reports, documentation, etc., and be able to apply basic rules of grammar, punctuation, dictation, and style.
- Requires the ability to communicate and direct people to convey or exchange information; includes receiving instructions assignments or directions from superiors.
- Fields of vision required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to differentiate between specific colors and shades of colors on cable wires, etc.
- Ability to acquire continuing education on new industry practices and procedures.
Education and Computer Experience:
- High school diploma or GED supplemented by either an Associate’s Degree in related field, or vocation training in applicable field. Relevant work experience of 7 to 10 years’ can be substituted for an education requirement.
Travel Requirements: Waveguide Communications services the Maritime Industry, which include: cruise, offshore and subsea; this requires our employees to travel all over the world. With the position of Senior Technical Design Engineer you are required to have the minimum requirements listed below and/or must be able to comply.
- Be able to travel outside the U.S. for periods up to two months.
- Be financially self-sufficient to support yourself for discretionary spending as well as incidental (reimbursable) business expenses.
- Possess a credit card and a U.S. bank account (WGC transfers pay and expenses electronically into its employees’ accounts).
- Be able to pass background check through local Port Authorities.
- Possess or obtain a Transportation Workers Identification Card (TWIC). (Note: Employees are not reimbursed for TWIC fees).
- Be able to obtain applicable Port badge.
- Attend offshore safety training.
U.S. Citizen, Possess A:
- U.S. Passport
- Certified Birth Certificate
- Valid Social Security Card
- Valid Driver License (Florida or other state)
Resident Alien, Non-U.S. Citizen, Posses A:
- Valid Passport of your country of origin
- Valid Permanent Resident Card or other ID indicating legal status to work in the United Sates
- Valid Social Security card
- Valid Driver License (Florida or other state)
- Possess an active Passport
- Acquire Permanent Resident Card (“Green Card”) for working purposes